Saturday, November 13, 2004

R1200GS Test Drive...and Purchase

Today I had a 10:15 appointment at BMW of San Francisco to test drive a new 2005 BMW R1200GS.

Stopped by Starbucks in Santa Rosa in hopes of catching a glimpse of my daughter. The place was packed, about ten people ahead of me in line, another half-dozen waiting for their orders to be prepared.

Jess was behind the counter, racing. Moving faster than I've ever seen her move! A study in perpetual motion. Every movement had a purpose. At one point, she filled a blender jar, put the lid on and shook it. The lid popped off and she was doused down her apron front with the frozen coffee concoction. She expressed shock, mopped off with a towel, then kept going.

Ordered my "tall double cappuccino, dry-style", greeted her, then got on the road.

Arriving for my appointment at BMW, I met Jeff, who is coincidentally from Fairport, New York, hometown of Constellation Brands, the folks who are negotiating the purchase of all, or part of my employer, Robert Mondavi Corporation.

Larry said we were waiting for another rider - a woman.

He allowed me to borrow a helmet off a manikin. I was a bit anxious. This is one of those "moments of truth", reality confronting fantasy. I had never ridden a machine like this. My last motorcycle was a 1972 BMW R75/5, which I had purchased new and then sold late in 1974, after about 40,000 miles of travel.

Larry would be taking us out on the test drive circuit. He was suited up in racing leathers, as was the woman who had just ridden in astride a Ducati. I had my borrowed helmet, "Eddie Bauer" down winter coat, jeans, hiking boots and flimsy tan cowhide work gloves.

The bikes were set up out in front of the BMW car showroom: the R1200GS, a new 650 "Dakar" and an 1150 GS. Larry mounted the 1150, the woman the Dakar and I would be on the R1200GS. I didn't even know how to properly remove it from its center stand. First, lessons from Larry, then a quick run over the controls and instruments. ("I hope I can remember this stuff five minutes from now!")

Then we were off. Well, first I stalled, then we were off. And immediately out onto the congested surface streets of San Francisco's Mission District. Everything was new to me: the bike, the controls, the helmet, the riding position, and even the feel of the streets.

I just tried to take it easy, following Larry's lead. We soon turned into a freeway on-ramp and headed south toward Brisbane on U.S. 101, the Bayshore Freeway. Larry wanted to take us up Guadalupe Canyon.

I never felt in control of this machine. The throttle was very sensitive, and the engine extremely responsive. There was more vibration and the ride was rougher than I expected. At times it felt the bike was running away from me. I held on tightly.

Still, we (too) easily got up to 90 mph going up the urban canyon road. A rough shifting of gears inside a turn caused a bit of "squirreliness" in the rear end that made me sit up and take notice. Guadalupe Canyon Road climbs up over a mountain, then descends toward the Pacific.

After a few miles, we pulled over and shuffled bikes, so the other rider could also experience the 1200. Larry suggested I try the 1150. It had a modified exhaust system. I didn't like it nearly as much as the 1200 (which was probably Larry's point.)

I too was "vibrating", from sheer nervous energy. Returning up Guadalupe Canyon I followed Larry as he pulled to the shoulder. I had not even noticed the police car pursuing us, so preoccupied was I with just operating the motorcycle.

The sergeant suggested that if we were going to drive 60 or 70 in a 50 mph zone, we should look in our mirrors more often. Larry was quick to intervene, speaking on behalf of his customers, and himself. After a brief conversation, we escaped with only a warning. As the officer returned to his patrol car, Larry walked back to his bike, discreetly flipping the policeman off for having the nerve to interrupt our test drive.

Back at the dealership, Jeff worked up a quotation for the R1200GS. I browsed the store, looking at helmets and other gear, all the while trying to sort out in my mind the next steps in this process.

Finally, I left the showroom, and went outside to my car, where I telephoned Jeff in Vermont. "I'm running out of excuses. I don't see any reason not to buy it."

Jeff didn't help. "Do it!" He was excited.

I went back inside and told (salesman) Jeff I wanted to buy a bike. He was now handling another customer, but I was in no hurry. I told him I'd return in 90 minutes. I was hungry. Found a popular burger place called Flippers and ordered a bleu cheese and mushroom burger. Leafed through a newspaper that had been lying on the seat next to me. It was full of fairly shocking (to my sensitive mind) gay classifieds. To this point, I had been oblivious to where I was!

Returned to the dealership. Jeff was still busy working up another sale. "No problem. I'll browse." I did so for perhaps another hour and a half. ("Am I a sucker?" I began to wonder.)

As the shop was beginning to close down, Jeff turned to my deal. There was no negotiating of price. There's too much demand for this new model. I wrote a check for $18,609.00. That included BMW panniers and top box.

"Well, how about throwing in a cover?" Only if I brought him a couple bottles of wine! Jeez. I guess that could be arranged. It must have been about 7:00 when we wrapped up.

Jeff was leaving for Hawaii tomorrow (thanks to me?), so I told him I'd just pick up the bike in two weeks, when he returns. (I wanted him to personally walk through the preparation of my motorcycle.)

Drove back to Santa Rosa, and stopped off at A'Roma Roasters for some coffee. Surprisingly fatigued by the day, the short ride and the general stress of making such an important decision. I thought about the date: the 13th. Not the most propitious sign. I hope it doesn't bode ill!

No comments: