Saturday, January 08, 2005

Research

A'Roma Roasters, Santa Rosa

A blustery afternoon, but there's a break in the rain. I had slept late this morning, hunkering down in my sleeping bag with the windows left wide open to last night's storm and frigid wind.

Awakened by a painful cramp in my right calf. (I can only imagine the intense pain a heart attack might generate!) A slightly sore throat and few other aches and pains raised doubts about my fantastic journey.

With the imminent loss of my job, I foresee a dramatically altered lifestyle. A forced austerity program. (Which might be made unnecessary by a concerted effort to find a replacement job, however I refuse to entertain such thoughts right now.) Reality will soon hit, and I will be humbled.

Went out to make the rounds of the local bookstores looking for some research materials for my trip. At Barnes and Noble, purchased road maps stretching from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego. I also browsed a hard-bound copy of Long Way Round, an account of actor Ewan McGregor and his friend Charley Boorman's recent trip around the World on motorcycles.

Aboard new BMW R1150GS motorcycles, they traveled 20,000 miles in four months. Apparently, it was a tortuous journey, even with a host of sponsors, diplomatic interventions, a trained support team traveling close behind and a film crew.

And I naively think I'll do 30 to 40,000 miles in perhaps six months. Alone.

No comments: