Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Getting Close

The time for departure is quickly approaching. I hope to be driving north by Sunday.

Hit a minor bump in the road today. I took my new (purchased in November specifically for this trip) motorcycle for its 6,000-mile service, and learned they’ll need to replace the gearbox and clutch. It’s under warranty, of course, but a surprise nonetheless. (I expect I will become quite familiar with surprises over the coming months.)

My consolation prize was the opportunity to drive a black and white former police motorcycle as a loaner. For once it felt I was on the right side of the law.

Another little surprise yesterday: the car I’m selling couldn’t pass this state’s mandatory smog certification. It seems it needs another catalytic converter (just replaced last year.) The shop wants a week to do the work. This will take a little balancing act between buyer, seller and mechanic.

Got the final in a series of vaccinations today. So I’ve been injected with Tetanus, Typhoid Fever, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis A and B. And I’m not dead yet. I passed on the Rabies vaccine - just need to avoid wild animals. (Do bears carry rabies?)

The “downside” in having my motorcycle in the shop for the next few days is losing the opportunity to pack and re-pack it over and over again to determine how much stuff I’ll have to leave off.

I’m in the final stages of moving out of my apartment of 16 years. One regret is losing “privileges” to beautiful Sonoma Mountain.

But, in the end, we must learn to separate from everything…

No comments: