Sunday, June 19, 2005

Whitehorse, Yukon


"Zola's", a great internet cafe in downtown Whitehorse. Outstanding coffee, pastries and free wi-fi!


4:45 p.m.

I've been camped at "Zola's" for hours. Haven't looked in on the Adventure Rider website for some time, but according to Jeff, there's a little chatter that warranted some response from me. I'm finding it challenging enough to work on a blog and respond to e-mails, so visiting other forums is difficult. At some point, I have to get up from the table. But I took some time to look over other adventurers' posts. Each on a personal quest, each similar in so many ways. Some really creative people and excellent photographers out there on the road! It's refreshing to see a different perspective on the same place. It makes me want to return to see something overlooked.

If this all benefits humanity in some way, that would be wonderful. Hopefully, we're not just out here chewing up the planet and its resources.

Today was the first day of steady rain. Awoke to the soothing sound inside my cozy tent. I didn't want to get out of it. But coffee was calling...

The rain is no big deal. Most of the gear is pretty resistant to it. The biggest challenge is maintaining a clear helmet visor, given the rain outside and the fogging inside the helmet (and inside the brain.) Fortunately, it was only a 10-minute drive to this warm, dry spot.

I had been here at the coffee shop until nearly midnight yesterday. No arranged accommodations for the night, I drove south on highway 1A toward a campground where the rangers said there were spaces earlier. A weekend, approaching the solstice. The camps are filling up.

Drove up to the Wolf Creek Campground entrance. A sign stated "Gates Close at 10:00 p.m." But, out of the darkness, a uniformed gentleman walked toward me.

"A big bike!"

"I guess I'm too late?"

"No, there are two spaces. One for a big motorhome. You can have the other."

"Thanks. Someone must be looking out for me."

The campground was very crowded, but under the circumstances, I didn't care. Pitched my tent and crawled in as the rain was arriving.

I'll soon be out on the street again. "Zola's" closes at 5:00 today, so I'll move on down the highway, south and east.

No comments: