Thursday, September 01, 2005

Austin (continued a bit more)


Overnight, this little creature set up house on my bike. No free rides to Mexico, not with these gas prices!


1:00 p.m.

Little City Espresso Bar and Café, across from the University of Texas. (They're playing the Beatles, Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones. What's with that?)

Slow to get started. Rising about 8:00. It finally cooled enough to rest at about 11:00 last night. Though not the quietest park (the airport is nearby), it is secluded, and few campers were there. This morning the crackle of gunfire reminds me of Americans’ love for their guns. The sound echoes off the hills. Then automatic weapons. and finally an explosion. Later, I found the campground is just up the road from the Austin Police Academy.

Startled to find a large spider had built its home on the side of my motorcycle overnight. (A painful insect bite on my right inner thigh has swelled up and produced a four inch diameter reddened patch. Could it be connected to that critter?) And from the footprints, I think a raccoon was climbing around on the motorcycle as well.

Last night, after leaving the Lone Star BMW, I had dinner at La Parrilla. Excellent, and reasonable. I camped just south of the city, at McKinney Falls State Park. Before dark, washed my laundry under a faucet, then gave the bike a light washing as well.

In the western sky, Jupiter stood right over Venus. It makes me realize I haven't seen clear skies for a while.

No comments: