Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Morning

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Up at 8:00 after a restless night. (During the night, I was startled a couple of times by laundry that I had hung to dry falling; couldn’t get back to sleep. My trunk is covered with bites – not sure which flea-bag hotel is the source, but I can't imagine it's this one.

Last night, I kept to myself at dinner, though there were several English-speaking families in the dining room. When one of the families came to breakfast, I took the initiative to break the silence and ask where they’re form.

At their invitation, I joined James and Soraya DiGiorgio. They’re from Brooklyn and have come to adopt 3-1/2-month-old Colombian, Gabriella. A relief to converse in English, without a second thought. I admit of my guilt staying in this sheltered harbor, insulated from the reality of the streets, but Soraya, who was born in Colombia, says this is quite authentic. I took just a bit of comfort in her assurance.

No comments: