Sunday, December 18, 2005

Licking my wounds

When I woke this morning, I could hardly move, my right calf in pain, like the worst cramp.

"I'll just rest a little longer and it will get better." It didn't.

Read in my emergency medical aid booklet that muscle injuries take 6 to 8 weeks to recover. That's unacceptable!

Wrapped my calf in an ace bandage and took some ibuprofen, then went out to find some breakfast. Stopped in at "Trotamundo's" and ordered an omelette, juice and coffee. Not their strong suit.

Remained at “Trotamundo's” for six hours, working on the blog, balancing bank accounts. Later, an early dinner at “Jack’s”, including their "Tuscan soup" and chicken with mushroom sauce. Excellent as usual.

Hobbled around town, wearing a pained expression, I’m sure. It's easy to slip into self-pity at such times.

I'm continually baffled how foreigners divert their eyes, as if to pretend it’s just them and the locals.

***

In bed tonight, feeling a bit feverish and frail. Ribs now have a sharp pain occasionally and the leg feels no better.

A thunderstorm passed over a while ago. Up here at 10,000 feet, next to the clouds, the power is amazing, as thunder rolls through the mountains and valleys, shaking buildings.

No comments: