Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A birthday party!


Max and his parents


Tuesday 2:00 a.m.

I feel "like a fish out of water" in this holiday destination (popular among Argentineans) because I have "work" to do - serious business. There's no time for lounging by the seaside and partying!

In the afternoon, I went back to "Cuernavaca" to take advantage of the wi-fi connection. Tried some of their enchiladas. Though labeled "Tex-Mex Style", they were very strange. Tonight we would be celebrating Max's 42nd birthday, so I visited "Vinoteca" once again. (Max and I had stopped there to buy some wine for dinner at Jack's house.)

I purchased the same wine, a "Tabali" Cabernet Sauvignon from the region around La Serena. Jack didn't open that wine when we were at his house, and I know Max wanted to try it, so I'd give him another opportunity.

At 8:00 p.m., I followed Max’s directions to his parents' house, a modest apartment unit that they've occupied since the 70s (the Pinochet era, when martial law and curfews were imposed.)

An intimate gathering of family and friends, it was an enjoyable evening, sitting out on a small garden patio. A family friend was hired to cook dinner. As an appetizer, hot dogs (salchichas here) were served on buns. (I had heard that Chileans really love their hot dogs!) We also had beef and chicken!



Max invited me to join his friends and family to celebrate his 42nd birthday



We had to wait until after midnight to light the candles on the cake, since Max was born early the morning of the 17th. With 42 candles, Max nearly needed a fire extinguisher!

1 comment:

Drew Kampion said...

Nice to see pics of Max, thanks!