Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Quellón, Chiloé, Chile

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 1:30 p.m.

The "Ciber Zoán" internet café

Though I have about fifteen journal entries to finish, I'll start with the latest first, so you'll at least know I'm alive and well(-fed).

Quellón is at the end of the road, literally, on Chiloé island, south of Puerto Montt, Chile.

At a windy point just across the bay from here, the Pan American Highway ends, after a 22,000-kilometer run from Anchorage, Alaska. Late last night, I found a pleasant campground a short distance from the monument.

This is a gritty fishing town. The wealth seen elsewhere in Chile hasn't quite trickled down here. But I have a day to get to know the place a little better. Thus far, all the people I've met here have been very kind and helpful.

I'm waiting for a ferry that runs to Chaiten on the mainland, where I'll visit "Parque Pumalin", then pick up the "Carretera Austral", the highway that will take me another 500 or 600 miles south in Chile, before I cross back to Argentina. The ferry only runs to Chaiten on Wednesday and Friday.

The farther I get from the big cities, the more difficult to find good internet connections. Though called "high speed", many internet cafés have tediously-slow service, and posting blog entries becomes quite a task. The "Ciber Zoán" is not bad though, and I'm almost afraid to leave it! The next big cities are Punta Arenas and Ushuaia, probably a week off.

***


The end of the Pan-American Highway outside Quellón, Chile. The flags of Chile, Quellón and Alaska are flying. The American flag is there too, but tied up!

A docent at the tourism office here said that during the night, some people "with a different way of thinking" came and tied up the American flag. I came back later to "free" our flag, but it had been removed!

4 comments:

Chilote said...

Chiloe is a precious island, where the simplicity of its people, the typical food, its customs is appraised and culture, added to a remarkable architecture in where it emphasizes the wood churches.

Welcome to this corner of Chile.

timtraveler said...

Thanks, Chilote!

Only after leaving Chiloe did I learn you really have to look deeper than the surface, and that the culture is what makes it such a special place!

Tim

Anonymous said...

oohhh,please chiloe is a of the cities more beantiful of the world.....this in my contry..CHILE !! a kiss....bye bye thanks chiloe for yours places !!

timtraveler said...

I look forward to visiting Chiloe again some day!