Monday, February 27, 2006

Service in Santiago

Monday! The work week begins. It was time to get off my "duff". The rear tire pressure was dropping too fast, so I decided to change out the tire, re-mounting that Brazilian spare I've been carrying for a month.

Took the bike over to Bimota, and once again they got right to it. Not a moment's hesitation. These guys are good!

When "Javier" was finished with the tire, I started the bike up and noticed a rattling sound. He found a loose skid plate bolt and tightened it. Then I mentioned the starting problem (only in neutral). He quickly determined a sensor was at fault. It took an hour or so to repair. For this there was no charge. "The relationship is free," he said.

Next, I visited the offices of "LAN", Chile's national airline, to inquire about shipping the motorcycle home. In a Las Condes office tower, this was the first time I saw "designated elevators": on a keypad, you type in the floor number desired, and you are assigned an elevator that will take you directly to that floor.

At LAN, I met with Jorge Nunez, North American Export Manager. He was extremely generous with his time and very helpful, laying out exactly what steps were necessary, and provided his cell phone number should I run into any difficulties along the way. It sounded like, at most, a two- or three-day process.

Stopped in at Williamson Balfour to check on having the front brakes repaired. Their quote: $1,480 to change out the two front brake discs (including that 19% IVA! I don't know how people can afford to ride - or drive - here.) They estimated it would take about nine days to receive parts. I took no action. With complete wheel and brake assemblies in storage at home, I can't justify spending the money here.

No comments: