Sunday, February 12, 2006

Under the weather in El Calafate


Patagonian wildlife on the hotel lawn!


Added another day to my stay here. Costly, but necessary. At first, I was told the hotel was going to be fully-booked by the group that's here now, but they apparently had a cancellation, allowing me to keep my room.

To sleep after 4:00 a.m. body aching and persistent coughing. At 11:00, I walked downtown in search of some food. I was craving salt, and (not surprsingly) had absolutely no interest in sugar. At this hour, beer appears to be flowing in El Calafate, but food is out of the question. Kitchens don't open until later!

Wandered in search of a restaurant that looked appealing, but I soon decided a good restaurant would be wasted on me today. I'd wait and give the hotel one more chance. It’s “free”...

The internet café is open from 5:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. on Sundays. Strange hours. Went there for a short time this afternoon, but my brain just wasn't functioning. Headed back to the hotel.

After a climb up the hill, I started choking as I stumbled into the lobby, causing looks of shock all around. It was sweet to see the hotel staff expressing such concern for my health. "I think I'll live," I assured them. Sat down to dinner, Frank Sinatra's "greatest hits" playing on the stereo.

At 9:30, I was joined by over 50 seniors. Many used the edge of my table for support as they climbed down a couple nearby steps. I enjoyed watching them, and witnessing my potential future. Even while on the road, the women, without exception, managed to dress nicely, their clothes appearing unwrinkled. Very impressive!

***

"Adventure" has become a term I can hardly bear to hear these days (seeing it advertised all over this town.) It's so packaged and commercialized. Everybody's on an "adventure", no matter how safe, secure and comfortable. (I guess life, no matter how comfortable it may appear, is still fraught with trials, difficulty and danger, and so might be termed "an adventure.")

No comments: