Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Holiday Inn Express, Page, Arizona


"Ode to Vermeer, or Hans Veneer, the primal architect of visions in the mirror, of things quite near, little queer spaces in space and light outside the drear plod of time." - Drew Kampion


Since this is the best rate I've had for a Holiday Inn Express, I decided to stay on another day. (Is that an adequate excuse?) Perhaps this is the break in the momentum I've been awaiting. Besides, it was raining.

After breakfast, I asked to change rooms. They moved me from 203 to 327. At first 327 smelled like smoke. I was going to stay put in 203, but I always adapt. I would soon find 327 to be better.

Outside, rain and hail. Took out the camera. “I’m still on assignment.” It is odd: given the “right mood” you can find something interesting to photograph in any circumstance. In one set of photos I tried to capture the pleasure of being inside, safe and warm, on a stormy day. In another, I wanted to show how I spend so much time: unglamorously seated at a desk, working on the computer. But even that vision can have an artistic quality. However, the inspiration is fleeting.



Hanging out in Page, Arizona. A chance to watch the weather go by while collecting my thoughts.


Blogged the day through! Tried to stay away from TV. Pasta, leftover from last night, was my main meal. Took a break to watch Democracy Now! on-line. Went out for some fresh air in the evening and picked up some groceries at Safeway.

Only managed to finish about three journal entries today. Another 16 or 17 in the queue!

Not a lot of luck with this hotel. Last night it was the BIG guy pacing in the room above. Tonight, it's the fellow next door who may have had a bit too much to drink. He's singing along with the commercial jingles and talking to his TV.

With his help, I was up until 1:00 a.m.

3 comments:

Drew Kampion said...

Ode to Vermeer, or Hans Veneer, the primal architect of visions in the mirror, of things quite near, little queer spaces in space and light outside the drear plod of time.

babycondor said...

A beautiful photograph, and a beautiful comment, Drew. Thank you both.

timtraveler said...

Not without someone to appreciate it. Thanks, Cathie.