Friday, March 03, 2006

Botto

The hotel grew very quiet again mid-week, with only a few guests. One of the staff asked when will I leave? Good question. "Maybe Monday?"

I had "sat on my hands this week." Now, nothing could be done about shipping (or replacement parts) until next week. Guess I'm awaiting a lightning bolt.

Tonight, I was back at Botto. It was 10:00 p.m. and there was one other couple in the restaurant. "No mucha gente (not many people)", I remarked to my Uruguayan friend. He told me to wait until 11:00. From 11:00 to 3:00, he said, they will be busy. Of course, he was correct.

After 11:00 the restaurant started to fill. Out of all the customers, one particular couple stood out. They had a remarkable dynamic and were fascinating to watch throughout their dinner. They clearly enjoyed each other's company, yet there was no sense of the insecurity or possessiveness witnessed to some degree in most couples. They engaged in a lively, playful dialogue, occasionally grew silent and touched hands, but just as quickly broke off and launched into another discussion. Very refreshing.

No comments: