Saturday, March 18, 2006

South by Southwest Festival


Neko Case sets up for her show at Austin's South by Southwest Festival (photo courtesy of George Kelly. George reports for the Bay Area's Contra Costa Times. For additional festival photos, and much more, see: Link)


4:00 a.m. Saturday morning


Just returned from having something to eat at Kerbey Lane. Sat at the counter, chatting with "Ben", who has been to Brazil several times. He's a graduate student of "computational linguistics". (I didn't know there was such a degree, but he explained his studies involve developing language-recognition programs for computers.)

Went to Antone's nightclub at around 8:30 tonight. As was suggested the other day, it was no problem getting in, just paying the cover charge (which, I think, was $15). I remained for a total of six shows: Tim Feit, Heavenly States (from Oakland, California), Over the Rhine (from Ohio), Marah (from Philadelphia), Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, and finally, the reason I was here in the first place, Neko Case.



Neko Case (photo courtesy of George Kelly)


She started at 1:00 a.m and played until about 2:30. The crowd was pretty well sauced by this time and the noise level was a challenge to sing over. The club was now at capacity. I was pretty tired, as were many I suspect. Emotional energy at an ebb.



Jon Rauhouse, on the left, has backed up Neko for years. He's an outstanding musician. (Photo courtesy of George Kelly)


The band members from Marah, who had been drinking beers while performing, were now part of the audience, and pushed to the front next to me. They were obviously intoxicated and oblivious, dancing wildly and jostling those around them (including me.) All in good fun, but their lifestyle is clearly unsustainable. At this rate, the poor guys are going to burn out fast.

Neko performed many songs from the new album, "Fox Confessor Brings the Flood". Tom Ray, Jon Rauhouse, Paul Rigby, Jason Creps, Rachel Flotard (of "Visqueen"), and Kelly Hogan backed her up.

She did a great version of "Deep Red Bells" (which I had hoped she would perform at previous shows I've attended.)

The play list included:
A Widow's Toast
Favorite
If You Knew
Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
Set Out Running
Star Witness
Dirty Knife
I Wish I Was the Moon
The Tigers Have Spoken
Maybe Sparrow
Deep Red Bells
Hex
That Teenage Feeling
Furnace Room Lullaby
Hold On, Hold On
Wayfaring Stranger
Look For Me (I'll Be Around)
John Saw That Number
There was a photographer standing against the stage directly in front of me. At the end of the show, I introduced myself to George Kelly and asked if I might get a photo from him for my blog. He said he'd see what he could do.

***

The day began with housekeeping coming in. I didn't even answer the door when they knocked. The woman excused herself and quickly left.

Guy called this morning, wondering what I was going to do. Other than the show, I had no real plan. So, I just made the rounds of "comfort stations":

Little City coffee shop - had a hard time working on blog. Uninspired.

Austin Coffee - for some soup and a burger

Flipnotics - for another pie a la mode

(I'm rapidly putting on the weight again. It's just so easy in this country!)

It was even difficult to overcome the inertia and go downtown for tonight's show.

1 comment:

allaboutgeorge said...

A pleasure meeting you the other night, Tim. Keep on bloggin'!