Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Moving day

Slept late again, 9:00 a.m. (after being awake until after 3:00.)

Almost had to fight off housekeeping, perhaps since I offered a $5 tip the other day for "refreshing" the room.

Packed up before 11:00. Good riddance to the depressing Extended Stay America Hotel. What a dismal place!

Went to Anchor Storage to load as much as I could on the bike. What a way to move! I intend to rent a pick-up, once I'm ready to move in fully.

Over to my new apartment. And things begin to sink in. “This is where I've chosen to stay?” The thought of moving into yet another person's home is almost unbearable. 55 years old and still a renter. “This is insane.”

The negatives, and the realities pop up, one-by-one. The asphalt surrounding the apartment will create an oven-like effect. I don't have a vacuum cleaner. (What happened to it? Oh, I think I left it behind on Sonoma Mountain last year, unable to carry it away on my fully-loaded bike.) I don't want to buy another. I don't want to buy anything (except maybe a home.)

I stood, nearly paralyzed, for a long time. Just soaking in the fact that here I am, and I don't really want to be here. I seem to be in a downward spiral.

Needed to move. Motion often dispels negative states. Decided to go over to Kenwood to check my mail, then have some lunch at Cafe Citti. I haven't been there in a long time.

With no income, little drives like this will become less prudent. With gas over $3.00 per gallon, my lifestyle must certainly change. The middle class will get squeezed out. The wealthy will be little-impacted. Republican Arlen Specter has actually proposed a “windfall profits tax” on oil companies! That's heresy! “Bravo!”

At "Citti", indulged in a wonderful soup and their "Lucca's Garlicky Caesar Salad", but it was hard to enjoy, when the bill (with some biscotti) came to over $27, including tax and tip!

On to A'Roma's Roasters to spend some time on the computer. Forced to bail out when my battery drained.

Stress building, symptoms of angina surfacing, eating becoming more of an obsession, and distraction.

Another run to storage, then over to the apartment. The activity kept my mind occupied. I know once I sleep here a few days, things will look different.

On NPR’s “Fresh Air”, listened to an interview with Dr. Dan Gottlieb, a quadriplegic and the author of Letters to Sam. A very inspiring and humbling story. In contrast, my difficulties are minor.

Sorted through receipts from the trip. Finances are now becoming a concern. To my shock, I’ve spent $10k in just the past couple months!

“Democracy Now!”, which is broadcast on a local radio station at midnight included a great story on the oil companies’ agenda in Iraq.

Just for fun, re-read the shareholders' information on the Mondavi-Constellation merger (which coincidentally led to my joining the ranks of unemployed.) If people really understood how much senior management is handed in their employment packages, there would be revolution. It's all there in black and white, for those who take the time to read.

The current and generally-accepted inequities of corporate structures assure the preservation of a privileged ruling class.

No comments: