Tuesday, April 11, 2006

First day back - taking care of business


I dropped in on my daughter Jessica at her new job at Oliver's Market in Cotati. (I think I'm about to get a free sample of smoothie!)


Beat the rain over to the storage unit to unpack all the travel gear and try to figure out what I'll need now. It's strange, and a bit sad, to see all my worldly possessions in a half-filled 4 x 10' container. (The motorcycle being about the only thing not in there.) Rent is paid through June 11th, so I have until then to find a new home for it all.

Drove out to the Kenwood post office to pick up what Jessica hadn't already collected, including an invitation to the 2006 Napa Valley Wine Auction. Don't think I'll be bidding on any of the special lots. That's another world, to which I have little connection now.

Back at the hotel, after sifting through 323 days' worth of mail, there were only a few things that required action. Found my vehicle registration sticker and applied it, making the bike legal (though still not insured.)

In Santa Rosa, my old stand-by Mexican restaurant, Pepe's has changed names to Chelino's while I was away. (One of the partners bought out the other's share.) My "usual" tamale dinner proved too much food.

Looked into moving to the Extended Stay America motel at Fountaingrove, but it was too expensive. I checked out another Extended Stay America, this one on Corby Avenue (adjacent to the Auto Mall.) Their rates were lower, roughly comparable to the Great Western, but with kitchenettes.



When I left nearly eleven months ago, people in the small town of Cotati were fighting to keep out "big box stores". They failed, and with that another several football fields worth of greenbelt disappear. I talked with an electrician working on the site. He said Lowe's is targeting communities where Home Depot has already established a presence.


Visited Jess at her job at Oliver's Market, taking some photos of her "on the job." Oliver's is a locally-owned grocery chain, which I'm happy to patronize. Jess runs the smoothie bar and and helps out in the bakery. Hopefully, she'll get samples to share with me!



Oliver's: my kind of place!


Called Jeff and we talked for an hour, discussing the possibility of my going back to Vermont to spend some time until I figure things out.

Watching Fox "News" for fun. The main topic is immigration. With huge immigrants' rights rallies taking place throughout the country, these guys' blood must be boiling!

9 comments:

priscilla said...

How does Jess retain her girlish figure?

timtraveler said...

She just started here. Give her time.

babycondor said...

Hi Jess! Nice to see you!

Love,
Mom

otto said...

Is that a "Princess" cake in the left hand corner?

otto said...

"lower" left

timtraveler said...

It's the orange one!

Susan said...

yummy!!!!

Anonymous said...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim, Say it isn't so. After months and months and months of glorious photos and interesting travel stories, this isn't the end, is it? A muddy drainage ditch adjacent to more paradise lost? Can't we have one more photo of you sitting on a patio, comfortable and content, sipping your favorite wine? Something fitting the completion of a grand journey?
Guy
7:32 AM

timtraveler said...

My sentiments exactly Guy! No, it's not the end. The story's not over, as I'm essentially on the road still, "with no direction home" (at least for the moment.)

I wish I knew how it all turns out, but like you, I'll just have to stay tuned!
9:07 PM

Drew Kampion said...

Yes, a shot out of that new extended-stay motel window, perchance! Or the beach at Sonoma somewhere?
10:14 AM

timtraveler said...

Ah, but there is more to come!
3:35 PM

Susan said...

ah, but so far everyone i know who works at Home Depot expects to be fired any day

the one person i've met who worked at lowes likes it says they're treated well

they are little more pricey....

i sure do miss the ancient little hardware store that use to be near my home

it's been replaced by an antique store called the Blue Frog that has locked the front door on the street and makes you go round to the back.... if you're walking, say from one of the other stores on the same street that's very annoying. I think they're afraid of the people at the bus stop across the street. anyway i think i'll pass on that, looks over prices anyway.
11:45 PM

timtraveler said...

Hey, Susan!!!

It was a kick traveling the Hill Country with you and Guy, and hanging out at Cory's pad.

Thanks for everything!

Tim
4:51 PM

Anonymous said...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim, Say it isn't so. After months and months and months of glorious photos and interesting travel stories, this isn't the end, is it? A muddy drainage ditch adjacent to more paradise lost? Can't we have one more photo of you sitting on a patio, comfortable and content, sipping your favorite wine? Something fitting the completion of a grand journey?
Guy
7:32 AM

timtraveler said...

My sentiments exactly Guy! No, it's not the end. The story's not over, as I'm essentially on the road still, "with no direction home" (at least for the moment.)

I wish I knew how it all turns out, but like you, I'll just have to stay tuned!
9:07 PM

Drew Kampion said...

Yes, a shot out of that new extended-stay motel window, perchance! Or the beach at Sonoma somewhere?
10:14 AM

timtraveler said...

Ah, but there is more to come!
3:35 PM

Susan said...

ah, but so far everyone i know who works at Home Depot expects to be fired any day

the one person i've met who worked at lowes likes it says they're treated well

they are little more pricey....

i sure do miss the ancient little hardware store that use to be near my home

it's been replaced by an antique store called the Blue Frog that has locked the front door on the street and makes you go round to the back.... if you're walking, say from one of the other stores on the same street that's very annoying. I think they're afraid of the people at the bus stop across the street. anyway i think i'll pass on that, looks over prices anyway.
11:45 PM

timtraveler said...

Hey, Susan!!!

It was a kick traveling the Hill Country with you and Guy, and hanging out at Cory's pad.

Thanks for everything!

Tim
4:51 PM