Friday, November 17, 2006

Armchair activist

Slept until 8:30. A feeling of being lost still engulfs me.

A sharp back pain in lower right side.

An e-mail from Richard saying he’s going out to the Anchor Bay property tomorrow and inviting me to join him. The back is a concern, but a voice says “don’t qualify your response, just commit.”

Listened to the radio for a couple hours, while washing laundry. Too cold to hang things out to dry, I took the clothes over to the laundromat to finish the cycle. A large group of disabled people were there, with a lunch spread. An odd scene.

While my laundry was drying, I couldn’t stay still. Hopped on the bike, but “where do I go?” I wandered briefly before returning to the laundromat.

"Chelino’s" for lunch. Sat eavesdropping on the conversation at a neighboring table. Two men talking about Chile and Argentina. Some kind of development, mentioning Salta, Mendoza and Osorno. At first I thought it was vineyard and winery project, but gradually it became clear they were talking about home sites. And one spoke of local opposition, which he derided. One mentioned Christopherson homes, one of California’s largest developers – are they going down there?

For a change of venue, moved over to "Peet’s Coffee" to work on some notes.

Two people meeting at the neighboring table, discussed how to address "Wal-Mart’s" project (apparently proposed for Santa Rosa) with the City Council. Further evidence of Santa Rosa’s economic decline.

I began searching the web for anti-"Wal Mart" campaigns, then spoke up when I found information. They thanked me for my interest, then handed me a flyer and encouraged me to attend the hearing, but the intrusion did not seem welcome.

A drowsy afternoon and evening. Stress causing some chest discomfort, bowels somewhat distressed and a nagging backache. Not a good day.

At home later, browsed through various environmental publications (Earth Island, Nature Conservancy, World Watch), then shifted to real estate, going through the newspapers I picked up in Alturus. $1,000 an acre, or less, not uncommon up there. Then I started looking at Charlie Tripodi’s site for Humboldt properties. Quite shocking – some properties $10,000 or more an acre.

So, perhaps I should just stop dreaming.

No comments: