Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Pollution from China?

All indications are that I was snoring again! (Though the apartment revealed no seismic damage.)

I resumed yesterday's cleaning projects, turning now to the tent, the hydro bags and helmet (with its padding once again falling apart.)

And while those things dried in the sun, I continued typing notes. Returned to the JC library for the afternoon, where I could better work on the blog.

Late in the afternoon, I went out to "Carmen’s" for a burger. She has done quite a good job in creating a comfortable eatery. It's busy, serving quality food, a friendly neighborhood hang-out (even though the clientèle is primarily the affluent. I tried to work on my attitude: "each person is wonderful, a miracle!")

In a radio discussion involving members of the "Committee of 100" ("a national non-partisan organization composed of American citizens of Chinese descent"), a panelist stated that 1/3 of fine particulate pollution in West Coast cities is from China. If true, that's an amazing fact!

Tonight I watched Old Joy, a fascinating film by Kelly Reichardt. Outwardly simple and almost mundane, yet psychologically complex and haunting. I spent some time with it, viewing the special features and listening to some of the director’s comments. She mentioned that one of the characters walks a line between freedom and homelessness – much like me.

No comments: