Friday, September 14, 2007

A new journey

It has been sixteen months since I've returned from my "Americas Trip". I've thought long and hard about a new direction, one I could "live with" (from the standpoint of conscience.)

Again, I drew on some dreams from the distant past. One had been to be an artist. That notion always evoked a sense of dread, a fear of the unknown, a fear of standing out, and being recognized. Much easier and more comfortable to blend into the backdrop.

But it would be intolerable to die having never tried the path to see if there is some discovery to be made there. So, overcoming a certain fear, I signed up for a beginning painting course at Santa Rosa Junior College. I painted a landscape when I was about 20. Prior to that, pursuit of art had pretty much come to an end at the age of 15, when I was counseled to follow more serious studies - the sciences and math. (I think I was listening to my mother.)

In my 40s, the interest in learning was reignited and I took numerous drawing courses at the JC. That was over ten years ago, and with the move to Mondavi Winery, and a total focus of attention to a demanding job, art was once again put on the shelf.

This may very well lead nowhere, but the process will answer a question I've lived with for forty years: "did I take a wrong turn somewhere???"

No comments: