Saturday, April 26, 2008

Can't Get Enough Oil



In its final days, the Bush Administration is pressing the Bureau of Land Management to pursue the sale of leases in Wyoming, Colorado and Utah for oil shale and tar sand development.

This photo shows the devastation taking place in Northeastern Alberta. Arboreal forests are cleared and tar (or oil) sands strip-mined, largely to feed the insatiable American market. Canada is America's largest foreign supplier of oil.

This has really piqued my curiosity, and I'd love to take a trip up there to see first-hand what's really going on. However, I have a hard time right now justifying the expenditure of so much gasoline for a story about destructive oil sourcing.

Americans need to learn a few words the Bush Administration will never promote: "moderation", "conservation", "austerity", "respect for the environment".

Photo: David Dodge, The Pembina Institute
To view a remarkable slide show of oil sands operations near Fort McMurray, Alberta, click here.

1 comment:

Drew Kampion said...

A worthy mission ... my UPS driver was filling me in on the Alberta situation a little while ago ... it's a node, I tell ya!